My Blackness gave to me
Literary greats with no debate
Vast distinguished works speak
Dancing on the pages of poetry, novels, books and plays
Amiri Biraka pleaded “Who did what to the United States? “
Phenomenal Women who rose and activist who chose to compose literature that reflects a diverse people
Creative intellectual minds who wrote without the coat of sugar or syrupy sweet
Producing great characters such as Walter Lee Younger and Boy Willie & poems of Dreams we hear them speak volumes
Lucille Clifton lifting us
Still Thirsting for Hurston calling out for an S.O.S for Sanchez
Walter Dean Myers, Sharon Draper, Christopher Paul Curtis and Mildred D. Taylor’s Road to Memphis. Richard Wright, Ralph Ellison the writing journey has begun-and I’m on board
1. Who is your favorite African-American Writer? Why?
2. Tell us about your favorite book by an African-American Author. Note the genre.
3. Research the characters, titles mentioned in the poem. Who wrote them and which body of work do they come from?
4. Research the authors mentioned in the poem. Name one title from each of their works.
5. Which modern day writers from the poem write Young Adult realistic fiction?
6. List at least eight African-American writers that are not listed in the poem and their contribution (title).